Willis Street house is destroyed by fire

Submitted photo/RFC
A home at 119 Willis St. was destroyed by a two-alarm fire on Saturday. Crews from Cambridge Rescue Fire Company, Hurlock, Trappe, Church Creek, Linkwood-Salem, East New Market, Secretary, Vienna, Oxford, St. Michaels and Easton responded. Also on the scene were deputies from the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal, Dorchester County Emergency Medical Services, and the Cambridge Police Department.

CAMBRIDGE — A home at 119 Willis St. was badly damaged in a fire on Saturday. A report from the Office of the State Fire Marshal said the emergency began with unattended cooking. There were no injuries or human deaths, though a cat died in the blaze.

The two-story, wood frame, single-family dwelling was occupied by Raymond and Ramona Perry. It sustained an estimated $80,000 in damage, with another $20,000 worth of contents lost. There was no fire alarm or sprinkler.

First reported at 11:46 a.m., the fire also damaged a truck parked next to the home, and both houses on either side of 119 Willis St. suffered significant fire and heat damage.

The primary responding department was Cambridge Rescue VFC and multiple surrounding fire departments. Fifty firefighters battled the two-alarm blaze, taking one hour to bring it under control.