Townhouse burns, RFC fights fire, hot weather

Submitted photo/RFC
Members of Cambridge Rescue Fire Company seem to hover in a cloud of smoke as they fought a fire last week on Wood Duck Drive.

CAMBRIDGE — At 11:14 a.m. on Thursday, the volunteers of Rescue Fire Company Inc. were dispatched for a “Reported Working Garage Fire” (multiple calls) at 308 Wood Duck Dr. in Cambridge. Units arrived on location with smoke and fire through the roof of a two-story end unit town house.

The home is owned by LaForge and Phyliss Dunton. The preliminary cause is thought to have been accidental electric.
Crews started interior operations, advancing 200 feet of 2-inch attack line into the structure to extinguish the fire. This aggressive attack is believed to be what saved the rest of the town houses from the fire and left only one with water damage.

Because of the extreme heat of the day, coupled with the lack of volunteers, command requested a second alarm assignment, bringing additional equipment and personnel to the scene to help with the work-rest cycle overhaul and clean up. At 2:46 p.m., command placed the situation under control and all units were placed in service.

One firefighter was transported from the scene to the hospital. The last volunteer cleared Station 1 at 4:35 p.m. after all equipment was fueled, filled, and restocked.
Nineteen volunteers from Rescue Fire Company Inc. responded to this incident.

RFC vehicles and gear
Chief 1 (Command)
Chief 1-2 (Operations)
Talbot Chief 61 (Safety Officer)
Engine 1-3 (200’ of 2” & 200’ of 1.75” Hose)
Tower 1-1 (Main Ladder, 16’ roof ladders x2, 200’ of 1.75” Hose)
Rescue Engine 1-1 (Hydrant for Tower 1 w/ 585’ 5” Supply Hose)
Engine 1-4 (Hydrant for Tower 61 w/ 700’ 5” Supply Hose)
Engine 1-2 (Additional Personnel)
Utility 1-1 (Additional Personnel, water & ice)
Brush 1-1 (Additional Personnel)
Chief 1, Engine 1-3, Tower 1, Rescue Engine 1-1, Engine 1-4, Engine 1-2, Utility 1-1, Brush 1-1

Mutual aid
Cambridge Police Department, Dorchester County Emergency Medical Services, PM500 Madison, Station 31 (Neck District) Rescue Engine 31-1, A31-1, Station 46 (Church Creek) Engine 46-1, Station 21 (East New Market) Engine 21-1, Station 16 (Secretary) Rescue Engine 16-1, Station 6 (Hurlock) Tower 6, Talbot Station 30 (Trappe) Rescue 32, Talbot Station 20 (Oxford) Engine 25, Talbot Station 60 (Easton) Chief 61, Tower 61, Talbot Station 40 (St Michaels), Talbot Station 50 (Cordova) Engine 54, Wicomico Station 9 (Mardela Springs) Rescue Engine 906, Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Unit, Maryland State Fire Marshal. Fifty-four firefighters responded to the blaze.

This fire remains under investigation by the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office. The office said the loss to the structure was $100,000, with $40,000 loss to its contents.
“The homeowners were displaced and are being assisted by family members,” the statement from the fire marshal said. “The occupants of the neighboring residence were also displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.”

The author of this report, Kevin Carr, is a firefighter with RFC. Photos by Lt. Matt Lewis, FF/PM Eddie Dean, FF Brandon “Blister” Stacey and FF Andrew Bradshaw can be found at