Police and fire briefs, Oct. 3, 2018

Trappe Man Suffers Burn Injuries

TRAPPE — An elderly Talbot County man sustained life threatening burns at his home Thursday evening. Investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal responded to 2812 Ocean Gateway in Trappe Thursday evening for a small structure fire and a reported burn injury at the request of the Trappe Volunteer Fire Company.

The Trappe VFC was alerted to a fire at the Ocean Gateway address on Sept. 27 at 6:39 p.m. after the fire was discovered by a family member who lived nearby. The one alarm fire brought 16 firefighters to the scene of a small fire located in a wood frame storage shed. The initial 9-1-1 caller found the elderly man inside of the shed suffering from severe burn injuries.

The small fire was placed under control in under one hour and caused approximately $300 in damages to the shed. A Maryland State Police helicopter was requested by the fire department to transport the victim from the scene to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury for treatment.

Investigators responded to the hospital and learned that the victim had suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to 40 percent of his body. After initial treatment and ensuring the victim was stable, medical staff at PRMC decided to have the victim transported by ambulance to Johns Hopkins Bayview burn center for further treatment of his life threatening burn injuries. The victim could not be flown to Bayview due to bad weather.

The origin and cause of the fire remain under investigation.

WARRANT ARREST/CDS: CAMBRIDGE — On Aug. 23, Deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office, assisted by members of the Easton Police Department arrested Derrick Ryan Richardson, 30 of Cambridge.

An arrest warrant was issued by the Talbot County District Court charging Richardson with threat of arson. A search incident to arrest revealed a controlled substance and paraphernalia. Richardson was additionally charged with possession of a controlled substance and paraphernalia.

Richardson was processed and taken before a District Court Commissioner who released him on a $3,000 unsecured bond.

INTENTIONAL FIRE: CAMBRIDGE — At 2:19 p.m. on Sept. 19, 10 firefighters from Rescure Fire Department responded to an alarm at Sandy Hill Elementary School, 1503 Glasgow St. The one story masonry constructed educational building is owned by the Dorchester County Board of Education.

The fire was discovered by a school employee in the boy’s bathroom with no loss to structure and $35 damage to contents.

The preliminary cause was incendiary (intentionally set fire) and one male juvenile was arrested. Charges were forwarded to Juvenile Services.

WARRANT ARREST: FEDERALSBURG — On Sept. 11, Deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office arrested Michael Steven Gibbings, 27 of Federalsburg.
On Sept. 10, an arrest warrant was issued by the Talbot County District Court charging Gibbings with assault second degree, malicious destruction of property and reckless endangerment. Gibbings was processed and taken before a District Court Commissioner who ordered Gibbings held at the Talbot County Detention Center pending further court action.

THEFT ARREST: DORCHESTER — On Sept. 19, Deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office observed a small SUV travelling east on Ocean Gateway near Beaver Damn Road commit several traffic violations. The Deputy attempted to stop the vehicle utilizing emergency lights and siren; however the vehicle refused to stop and continued east on Ocean Gateway into Dorchester County.

Deputies were able to get the vehicle stopped in an alley behind Maryland Avenue and made contact with the driver, Hunter Moore, 18 of Easton. Upon speaking with Moore, Deputies detected the odor of marijuana inside the vehicle and noted two juvenile males inside the vehicle.

A probable cause search of the vehicle was conducted which revealed marijuana, paraphernalia and a shotgun which had been reported stolen in 2017.

Moore and the two juveniles were placed under arrest and transported to the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office for processing. Moore was charged with possession of stolen property, possession of marijuana, fleeing and eluding police and other traffic offenses. Moore was taken before a District Court Commissioner and released on his personal recognizance. The two juveniles were charged with possession of stolen property and released to their parents with a juvenile referral.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment