Police and fire briefs, Jan. 13, 2021

Submitted photo/Easton VFC
Cambridge Rescue Fire Company and area departments including Easton VFC responded to a three-alarm blaze in the early hours of Jan. 10.

Fire on Pine Street
On Jan. 10 at 12:02 a.m., Rescue Fire Company responded to a working structure fire at 600 and 602 Pine St. in Cambridge. Joining that first response were crews from Trappe Rescue, Dorchester County Emergency Medical Services and the Cambridge Police Department.
A second alarm at 12:08 a.m. brought vehicles and crews from Church Creek, Hurlock, Oxford and Trappe, as well as staff from the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
By 12:10 a.m., fire was visible through the roof of the 2.5-story house. Seven minutes later, the order was given to evacuate the building.
At 12:19, a second push began with all lines at the rear of the house. The emergency continued, however, and a third alarm was requested at 12:32 a.m.

Third alarm assignments were Station 31 (Neck District) Station 56 (Madison), Station 61, Station 21 (East New Market), Station 16 (Secretary) Rescue Engine 16-1, Talbot Station 40 (St Michaels) Engine 49, Truck 40 (Station 1 Transfer), Talbot Station 60 (Easton) Engine 63 & Engine 65, Wicomico Station 5 (Hebron) Engine 507, Station 14 (Sharptown), Engine Tanker 14 (Station 1 Transfer), Station 9 (Mardela) Engine Tanker 904 (Station 1 Transfer), Caroline Station 200 (Preston) Engine 204 (Station 6 Transfer)
At 12:42 a.m., the order was given again to evacuate, as crews took up defensive attack work. Seven tense minutes began at 12:49 a.m., when a mayday was called for a missing firefighter. At 12:56 a.m., the mayday was clear, as the firefighter was found safe.

At 1:04 a.m., the fire at 600 Pine St. was extinguished, and crews began working on 602 Pine St. The Red Cross was requested at 1:30 a.m., and the situation declared under control at 1:40 a.m. All units were placed in service at 4:15 a.m.

A report from the Office of the State Fire Marshal said 602 Pine St. is owned by Reydonin Stevenson. The estimated loss to the structure was $120,000, and to its contents $15,000.
The area of origin was the kitchen and the cause is under investigation. There were no injuries.
“The officers and members of Rescue Fire Company Inc. would like to thank every company that came out to help on this fire as the membership is running extremely short in the midst of COVID,” a statement from RFC said.

Murder suspect arrested

On Jan. 7 at approximately 11 a.m. Cambridge Police served an arrest warrant on a 42-year-old resident of Hurlock. Charles B. Bibbs III was charged with attempted first-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, handgun and related charges.
The arrest came in regard to a shooting that occurred on Dec. 25, 2020 in the 600 block of Pine Street. Investigation revealed that Mr. Bibbs became involved in an altercation with another male subject.

It ended, a statement from police said, when the male victim was shot in the torso. The male victim was flown to Shock trauma and is still recovering from his injuries. Mr. Bibbs is currently being held in the Dorchester County Detention Center on no bond.

Inmate dies at Detention Center
On Jan. 10, at approximately 11:30 a.m. Dorchester County E.M.S. was dispatched to the Dorchester County Detention Center for an inmate who was found in his cell and was unresponsive, a statement from the Office of the Sheriff said Monday. Upon arrival of the Medic Unit, it was determined that the inmate was deceased.
The Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office was contacted to conduct the investigation into the incident. The body of the deceased has been taken to the Medical Examiner’s Office for autopsy. The investigation is open and ongoing.

CPD seeks suspects
“The following subjects have active arrest warrants through the Cambridge Police Department,” a statement from the CPD said last week. “We ask the public that if anyone has seen or knows the whereabouts of any of these subjects to contact the Cambridge Police Department at 410-228-3333. You can also call via our tip line at 410-228-3784. You call and information will remain anonymous.”
Ryshon Kelly D.O.B 05-03-98 (unknown address)
Black hair / Brown Eyes
5’7 143LBS. Ryshon Kelly is wanted by the Cambridge Police Dept. in connection with a homicide that occurred back on Oct. 24, 2020 on Douglas Street in Cambridge. His charges include first-degree murder, assault, and related charges.
Tiara Latanya Cromwell
B/F DOB 04/02/1981
Last Known Address is 414 Charles St., Cambridge is wanted by the Cambridge Police Department in reference to a bank robbery that occurred on Dec. 22, 2020 at the 1880 Bank. Four other subjects have already been arrested and charged. Her charges include armed robbery and other related charges.

Car chase, heroin
On Jan. 7, a deputy on patrol in the East New Market area attempted to stop a vehicle for speeding. The driver failed to stop and accelerated in an attempt to get away. The chase ended at the intersection of Rt. 16 and Old Stagecoach Road when the suspect, a 28-year-old resident of 221 Choptank Avenue, Cambridge, lost control of the vehicle and spun out.
The suspect then fled the scene on foot but was captured after a brief foot chase. He was found to be in possession of Heroin, Crack Cocaine, Powder Cocaine and Paraphernalia. Kevon Jamar Spencer was charged with numerous Traffic Charges and Possession of Heroin, Possession of Crack Cocaine and Possession of paraphernalia and released by a court commissioner.

Homicide Investigation
On Jan. 8, at approximately 11:53 p.m., deputies were dispatched to the 100 block of East Church Street, Hebron, in reference to a homicide investigation.
Responding Deputies located Tyler Gravenor, 28, deceased in his residence. Deputies notified the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office, Criminal Investigation Division (CID). Members of CID responded and initiated an investigation. The investigation is actively ongoing.
Investigators are asking for anyone with information to call the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division at 410-548-4898 or to leave an anonymous tip call Crime Solvers at 410-548-1776.

On Jan. 5, a deputy from the Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office arrested 35-year-old Charles Albert Sargent of 5945 Corkran Cemetery Road, Hurlock. He was charged with being a Fugitive from Justice after it was discovered that he was wanted in Texas for several counts of Felony Theft. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop. He was charged on a Fugitive Warrant and ordered held awaiting extradition to Texas.

Threat of arson
On the evening of Jan. 6, 2021 the Dorchester County 911 Center received a call from an individual threatening to blow up the 911 Center, Sheriff’s Office and Detention Center. The individual was identified as 29 year old Monica Leigh Kemp of 1230 Chestnut Place, Cambridge. She was taken into custody and charged with Making a Threat of Arson and Making a Threat of Mass Violence. She was ordered Held without Bond and is now in the Dorchester County Detention Center.

Fleeing and Eluding
On Jan. 1, just past midnight, Deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office, assisted by members of the Maryland State Police, attempted to stop a motor vehicle for a moving violation on Chapel Road. Deputies observed the vehicle fail to stop for the stop sign at Chapel Road and Kitty’s Corner Road, when the Deputies turned on their emergency lights and siren, the vehicle refused to stop.
Troopers were able to set up “stop sticks” on Chapel Road near Rabbit Hill Road causing the suspect vehicle to stop. Deputies identified the driver as Sha’iona Lechel Jones, 21 of Federalsburg and a passenger as Paul Norman Barnard, 22 of Ridgley.
Jones was arrested and charged with fleeing and eluding police and Barnard was charged on a criminal citation with possession of marijuana. Jones was transported to the Talbot County Central Booking facility for processing and an initial appearance before the District Court Commissioner.

CDS Arrests
On Jan. 5, Deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office stopped a motor for a moving violation. Deputies identified two occupants in the vehicle as residents of Cambridge.
Deputies utilized a police K9 to develop probable cause for a search of the vehicle. Deputies located cocaine and paraphernalia and as they attempted to place Sedrick Octavius Stanley, 44 and Montro Exzele Fisher III, 40 under arrest, both showed symptoms of a drug overdose. Paramedics were called to the scene and both were transported to the hospital for treatment.
Once discharged, Fisher was issued a criminal summons charging him with possession of a controlled substance and paraphernalia. Fisher was released on his signature. Stanley was transported to the Talbot County Central Booking facility being charged with possession of a controlled substance with the intent to distribute, possession of a controlled substance and paraphernalia. Stanley was seen by the District Court Commissioner and ordered held pending further action by the court.

Men burned after accidental gun shot
Deputy State Fire Marshals have concluded their investigation in how a travel trailer fire in the 5400 block of Sixty Foot Road in Parsonsburg injured a father and son, resulting in one of them being treated to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center.
Investigators determined a 52-year-old man was attempting to place a gun in a case when it accidentally discharged, striking a thirty-pound propane tank, which ignited the interior of the travel trailer while both men were inside. Both the father and his 27-year-old son sustained second-degree burns to their bodies before escaping.

The men were treated on scene by Pittsville Fire Company EMS personnel and transported to TidalHealth Peninsula Regional Medical Center, with the father subsequently being transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center. Both men are expected to make a full recovery and will be released from the hospital soon. No malicious intent was identified at the conclusion of the investigation, and no charges will be filed.

The one-alarm fire was reported just before 10 a.m. and took approximately twenty firefighters and just over 20 minutes to control. Investigators considered the 20-foot Mallard travel trailer a complete loss.