Fire Marshal: Welding set off blaze

Submitted to Dorchester Banner/Kenny Thomas
A fire Wednesday at Bay Country Apartments on Greenwood Avenue in Cambridge caused $20,000 in damage.

CAMBRIDGE — At 4:46 p.m. on Wednesday, Rescue Fire Company’s Station 1 along with Talbot Station 30 were alerted for an apartment fire at 500 Greenwood Ave. Dorchester Central advised Chief 1 they had received multiple calls on the incident and Cambridge Police were on scene with fire on the second- and third-floor staircase balconies.

Chief 1 requested the working fire task force. Engine 1-3 responded and laid 300 feet of 5-inch supply hose into the scene and were assigned fire attack.

Engine 1-3 crew stretched a 200-foot attack line to the third floor and commenced fire attack.

Tower 1 crew took position on the bravo side and laddered the building. Talbot 30, Engine 1-2, Rescue Engine 1-1 and Rescue 1-1 crew assisted on scene with extinguishment and overhaul.

Rescue Engine 21 assisted with returning units in service once arriving on scene. Maryland State Fire Marshal office was contacted and requested to the scene.

The fire was contained to exterior of the building and no apartments were damaged. At 6:06 p.m., Chief 1 terminated command and units became available. The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Maryland State Fire Marshal Office.

RFC units on-site were: Chief 1, Engine 1-3, Tower 1, Engine 1-2 and Rescue 1-1.

Mutual was provided by Cambridge Police Department, Dorchester County Emergency Medical Services PM100 & 101 (Cambridge), Talbot Station 30 (Trappe), Station 46 (Church Creek), Station 61 (Linkwood-Salem), Station 21 (East New Market), Station 16 (Secretary), Station 6 (Hurlock) and Talbot Station 20 (Oxford).

A report from the Office of the State Fire Marshal said there were no injuries or deaths as a result of the fire. The building did sustain an estimated $20,000 in damage.

The single-alarm emergency brought 25 firefighters to the scene, who took 30 minutes to control the fire. There were no arrests made. No injuries were reported.

The area of origin was the base of a wood-framed column surrounding a steel beam on an exterior stairwell. The fire marshal’s statement said the preliminary cause was accidental, due to welding operations being conducted next to column.

EDITOR’ NOTE: Mr. Carr is a firefighter with RFC.