Wesley Chapel has served since the 1880s

Dorchester Banner/Megan Ryan
Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church is found on a quiet road in South Dorchester.

ANDREWS — Wesley Chapel, known formally as Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, is located along the road between the Andrews crossroads and Wingate in the Lake District, and it is a distinctive architectural and historical landmark in the area. It is a relatively unaltered late nineteenth century Gothic Revival influenced church.

The rectangular main block, similar to many county churches, is lighted by pointed arch lancet windows. In contrast to the Toddville and Crapo churches nearby with their asymmetrical entrance and bell towers, Wesley is defined by a center entrance tower distinguished on its upper level by a flared eave and belfry sheathed with fishscale shingles. Small sawn brackets enrich the eave of the pyramidal roof.

Along the sides of the chapel, decorated rafter tails and lancet windows constitute the decorative finishes.
The early history of Wesley Chapel south of the Andrew’s crossroads is somewhat clouded, but a conference records indicate that a church was erected for this congregation in the late 1880s with subsequent buildings following during the early twentieth century.

There was a church at this location on the Lake District map of the 1877 Lake, Griffing and Stevenson atlas. During the early twentieth century, trustees for the congregation included R. Burk Hayward, James A. Stewart,
Howard Hughes, George Guy Slacum, Richard Andrews, and Emory Moore. In 2000, the congregation trustees transferred ownership of the property to the Nause-Waiwash Band of Indians.

The above information is from an architectural survey by the Maryland Historical Trust.