Remembering Dorchester, Feb. 26, 2020

From the pages of the Banner

25 years ago
Rescue Fire Co. unveiled its new 100-foot tower ladder truck on Sunday. The new vehicle, designed by a committee appointed int he fall of 1993, went through approval by the City of Cambridge and the bid process and was delivered Nov. 1, 1994.

Shorter than the old 1967 “Queen Mary” ladder truck it replaces, the new vehicle was ordered with space constraints in mind, said Rescue Fire Chief Richard M. “Rick” Travers.

Chief Travers said he had asked the city commissioners to come and inspect the new vehicle so they could see “what we have and what we can do.”

“The piece will be an asset to the company. It will allow us to expand what we are able to do,” he said.

The 1994 Pierce is equipped with an 8V-92 TA Detroit diesel with a 2,000 gallon-per-minute pumping capacity. The unit also carries 100 gallons of water, 1,000 feet of five-inch hose, eight sets of breathing apparatus, a 12-kilowatt Onan generator and a complete assortment of fire company tools. The cost of the truck was $587,979.54.

50 years ago
The Cambridge Jaycettes began final stages in their preparation for the upcoming Miss Outdoors Beauty Pageant to be held at the Cambridge High School Auditorium. Recently, several members of the organization began work on the stage decorations for the pageant.

The theme for this year’s show will be “Dear Hearts and Gentle People.” Among those who worked on the displays were Darlene Jones, Sandy Stack, Karen Stack, Jo Ann Pliescott, Judy Shaver, Shirley Long, Jean Unsworth, Faye Greene and Wilma Gensch.

100 years ago
The largest vessel ever seen up the Nanticoke River is tied up at the old Wainwright wharf at Vienna, this being the large boat which attracted so much attention while building during the spring and summer months at Sharptown Marine.

The boat was launched several weeks ago and had started to Norfolk, Va., where she was to fitted out, but in going down the Nanticoke River, she was froze up and was compelled to put into Vienna to wait until the freeze had gotten out of the river, as it was feared that when the ice started to running, it might do quite a little damage to her.

The boat is 243 feet over all. The beam is 43 feet and it has a depth of 22 feet when loaded.

As the ice has now broke up in the Nanticoke, the boat will leave the first of next week and is reported that Mayor Lloyd S. LeCompte, Capt. Luke Cheezum, Fire Mate Theodore Vane and Cook W. Preston Bassett will make up the remainder of the crew.