UPDATE: MSP reports man wounded attempting to run down CPD officer

Maryland State Police are investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred in Cambridge early Friday morning.

CAMBRIDGE – A Maryland State Police (MSP) investigation into an officer-involved shooting last night is continuing. No charges or names were released as of Sunday afternoon.

A statement from the MSP said the suspect is a 27-year-old man from the Cambridge area. He was driving a car reported to have been stolen when he attempted to run over an officer from the Cambridge Police Department, who shot him, the report said.

The suspect is undergoing treatment at the University of Maryland R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore and is under police guard.  Charges against him are pending.

The police officer involved is a four-year veteran of the Cambridge Police Department.  He was treated in Cambridge for injuries sustained in the incident and later released.

“I can confirm the officer is home,” MSP spokesman Sgt. DaVaughn Parker said early Friday afternoon. “He is on administrative paid leave, pending the investigation.”

Placing an officer on administrative paid leave is proper procedure at the CPD, Sgt. Parker said. He said the names of the persons involved would be released at the same time.

He had no word on the suspect’s condition, though he said charges would not be brought until the suspect could go before a commissioner and understand the charges.

Cambridge Police Department Chief Mark Lewis requested that State Police Homicide Unit investigators and Forensic Sciences Division crime scene technicians respond to the scene to investigate the incident.

Two investigations are under way. The first is the criminal probe being conducted by the MSP, while the second is an administrative one by the CPD.

“The City of Cambridge and the Cambridge Police Department are very cooperative in giving us the information we need to investigate,” Sgt. Parker said. “It’s very important to be transparent to alleviate speculation.”

The preliminary MSP investigation indicates that shortly after 12:30 a.m. Friday, Cambridge Police Department officers responded to the 700 block of St. Clair Avenue after a call requesting police assistance for a domestic dispute.  The suspect’s mother reported that her son was chasing his naked girlfriend down the street.

“Responding officers found the female victim, who told them the suspect had stolen her car, a Chrysler 200,” the MSP statement said. “A short time later, the suspect was spotted driving in the area by officers, but disregarded police attempts to stop him.  A pursuit ensued through Cambridge.  During the pursuit, the suspect attempted to ram a police car.”

“In the area of Douglas and High streets, a Cambridge officer attempted to stop the suspect by blocking his movement on a one-way street.  The preliminary investigation indicates the car slowed or stopped and the officer shouted multiple times to the suspect to get out and get on the ground,” the MSP report said. “Instead of complying, the investigation indicates the suspect accelerated the car and drove directly at the officer.”

“In fear for his life, the officer fired his department-issued .40 caliber Glock 22 pistol at the suspect,” the report said.  “The suspect continued to drive at the officer and the vehicle struck his leg and foot as it passed.”

The suspect was apprehended a short distance away.  Officers found he had been shot and administered first aid until emergency medical personnel arrived, the report said.

Both the officer and the suspect were initially treated at University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Dorchester. The suspect was flown by Maryland State Police helicopter to the trauma center.

Facebook Comment