Suspect in Locust Street rampage in custody

MD-Rampage on Locust st

Dorchester Banner/Gloria Rojas
Tire tracks and a thrown-off toolbox, and a neighborhood of damaged cars left behind in the rampage on Locust Street last week. “To see something like that—I was in shock!” Said Cesar Gonzalez, whose car is shown damaged in the foreground of the photo.

CAMBRIDGE — A local resident is being held after witnesses described a scene of rampage in downtown Cambridge on July 13. The resident, driving a 2005 Chevrolet pickup truck, with a trailer attached and watercraft loaded on the back, allegedly struck vehicles on Poplar and Locust streets, causing damage to several cars.

According to police, a telephone caller “advised that the striking vehicle had fled the scene. While officers were responding to the area another caller advised that the suspect vehicle was in the 500 block of Glenburn Avenue. Upon officers’ arrival, the vehicle was located by Cambridge Police exiting a parking lot. The Cambridge officer stopped his patrol vehicle with the emergency equipment on. At that time the suspect vehicle, which was a 2005 Chevrolet pick-up, accelerated and collided head on with the patrol vehicle. The driver then continued to accelerate, pushing the patrol vehicle with the officer still inside. Other officers arrived on scene, at which time the driver refused to listen to officers’ commands and had to be physically removed from the vehicle.”

“Further investigation revealed that Craig Souris, 39, struck at least 20 vehicles before turning into the parking lot of Chesapeake Woods Nursing home on Glenburn Avenue,” the police report continued. “It was found that Souris drove his vehicle to the rear of the property before (hitting) two sheds on the property along with the nursing home. The impact to the nursing home caused structural damage to the building.”

Souris, the driver held in the road rampage, is in jail, held without bail and awaiting action from the Grand Jury. Souris had only minor injuries after the mayhem and was taken to the hospital but has been in jail since then.

Cambridge Police Chief Dan Dvorak told the Banner that the results of important toxicology reports are not in yet, but a lengthy list of charges has been prepared. Souris is charged with attempted 1st degree murder, attempted 2nd degree murder, assault and reckless endangerment. The most serious charges stem from his ramming of the police vehicle and the assault on the officer who was injured slightly. The officer, whose name is not being disclosed, was released from the hospital and is back on duty.

A week later, the most visible signs of the serial crashes are the swerving tire tracks on Locust Street. Owners of at least 20 cars are dealing with insurance companies and inconveniences. While hundreds of people went into the street to witness a portion of the rampage on Poplar and Locust Street, local resident Cesar Gonzalez shared his eyewitness account for those of us who missed the unbelievable happening.

“It began right before sunset, at around 8:30 p.m.,” said Gonzales. “My wife, Grace, and I were entertaining guests in our dining room when we heard loud noises on Poplar Street, a crashing, a banging, a screeching of tires. It sounded like a series of accidents, and that’s what it turned out to be. My guests ran outside and we followed to see a long series of destructive crashes. We saw the driver, who was also towing a trailer, and he whipped it around, swerving it into parked cars on the right. A tool box flew off, flipped over, and landed on top of my Porsche. Then the first of two jet skis fell off and smashed into a car. My wife’s car was also hit. You could see sparks as he plowed into other cars, and then the trailer he was dragging fell off.

“Hundreds of people were watching in fear and amazement as he went down the street and plowed down two outbuildings and rammed into a nursing home building. The occupant, an elderly woman, was taken to the hospital. He then struck two cars in that parking lot. The noise continued. We were in shock. He kept going and with hundreds of people watching and one person recording it, I thought it was too much not to be deliberate. So we were guessing—maybe a stolen car, maybe a medical emergency.

“Police cars were chasing him by then. He finally stopped when he rammed the police car. The officer’s airbag deployed. To see something like that — I was in shock. I went to bed that night thinking it was too surreal, but next morning when I woke up, the mess on the street was very real. We hope insurance can minimize the losses, but we feel bad.”

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment