NPS surveys log bottom bugeye Edna E. Lockwood

MD-restoring the 2xboat-031015

Special to The Dorchester Banner/CBMM
The 1889 bugeye Edna E. Lockwood, the queen of the fleet at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, is being prepared for a major restoration, which will begin in late 2015. Watch a video at

ST. MICHAELS — Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Boatshop Manager Michael Gorman, along with his apprentices and volunteers, have hauled out the 1889 nine log bottom bugeye Edna E. Lockwood this winter to make room for the National Park Service to laser scan and photograph the historic boat’s log hull.

The information is being put together by NPS’s Heritage Documentation Programs to document the different parts of the hull and how they come together as a greater whole. The project is part of the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) ‪Maritime‬ Documentation Program, with the produced measured drawings added to the HABS/HAER/HALS Collection in The Library of Congress to document the last working oyster boat of her kind. For CBMM, the information gained will be turned into a 3D model to aid museum shipwrights and apprentices in the restoration of the Edna E. Lockwood.

MD-restoring the 2xphogrammetry-031015

Special to The Dorchester Banner/CBMM
Todd Croteau from the National Park Service’s Heritage Documentation Programs takes the lines off of the 1889 log bottom Edna E. Lockwood through photogrammetry and laser technologies. The nine logs making up the historic bugeye’s hull are in need of replacement, with the restoration project planned to begin in late 2015, with all work done in full public view at the museum in St. Michaels.

The nine logs making up the historic bugeye’s hull are in need of replacement, with the restoration project planned to begin in late 2015. Just as Native American dugout canoes were formed by carving out one log, this bugeye’s hull is constructed of a series of pinned logs shaped and hollowed out as a unit.

In 1889, at the age of 24, John B. Harrison of Tilghman Island built the Edna E. Lockwood, the seventh of 18 bugeyes he was to build. Mr. Harrison also built the log canoes Flying Cloud and Jay Dee.

Modern technology meets historic sailing workboat

Built for Daniel W. Haddaway of Tilghman Island, Edna E. Lockwood dredged for oysters through winter, and carried freight — such as lumber, grain, and produce — after the dredging season ended. She worked faithfully for many owners, mainly out of Cambridge, until she stopped “drudging” in 1967. In 1973, Edna was donated to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum by John R. Kimberly. Recognized as the last working oyster boat of her kind, the Edna E. Lockwood was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1994.

The museum continues to look for help in sourcing the southern yellow pine logs required to begin replacing Edna’s log bottom. Twelve logs measuring 52’ in length and 3-4’ in diameter are needed.

To see video of the NPS at work on the Edna E. Lockwood, visit For more information visit

MD-restoring the 2xhull-031015

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment