UPDATE: Dorchester comes out after the storm

Submitted photo/RFC
Crews from Cambridge Rescue Fire Company responded to a wreck on the Malkus Bridge over the Choptank River Tuesday morning, as Tropical Storm Isaias moved through the area. Two patients were transported for medical care, and haz-mat teams were at the location.

CAMBRIDGE — The sun — and locals — peeked out from behind the clouds late Tuesday morning, as Tropical Storm Isaias moved past Dorchester County and onwards up the East Coast.

A tornado warning is in effect until 4 p.m. today. A tornado touched down in Mardela Springs in Wicomico County around 7 a.m., where a house collapsed, trapping a person.

Sharptown and Mardela Springs firefighters responded to the scene, with Wicomico County Emergency Services. Injuries were reported.
Cambridge Rescue Fire Company crews responded at 10:40 a.m. to a wreck on the Malkus Bridge over the Choptank River, with Dorchester County Emergency Medical Services and Talbot County engines and paramedics. Three tractor trailers were overturned on the bridge, shutting down Route 50.

Motorists were told to expect a shutdown of three to four hours. Haz-mat teams were working on the location. Two patients were transported for medical attention.

A flash flood warning for areas of the Shore was in effect until 12:15 p.m., though locals, especially the low-lying southern sections of Dorchester, know that roads can washed out regardless of official warnings. About five inches of rain fell in the area since last night.

Trees were down across the area, and some residents reported a loss of internet, as power flickered. By 1 p.m. Tuesday, more than 1.2 million customers on the East Coast were reported to have lost electricity, with 112,500 in Maryland.

By Tuesday, the storm had claimed three lives, one in North Carolina where Isaias came ashore as a hurricane, and two in the Dominican Republic.
High tides topped bulkheads and moved into yards as the storm pushed water up the bay. Boat owners were seen bailing out vessels and moving them onto their property with no more than a push or two.
Though rain had stopped by noon, gusty winds were still forecast for the afternoon. Motorists were advised to avoid high water.

A statement from the Town of Federalsburg said, “Late this morning, the town experienced strong storm winds, as expected. Public works has been out all morning and continues to be out addressing downed limbs and other storm-related debris clean up. The crew is working hard and can’t be everywhere at once. The Town appreciates everyone’s patience and cooperation at this time.”